Reading Room

Friday, July 04, 2008  
Act now on Site 300 permit

By: Adrian Jay
Published In: Tracy Press

A letter writer urges local residents to show up to a meeting against the Livermore lab's test site near Tracy...

Open detonation, burning and storage of explosives waste and explosives-contaminated debris should not be permitted near Tracy. We must act now to prevent Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory from renewing its permit and expanding its perilous operations at Site 300, located on Corral Hollow Road.

Slime, slag and sludge are just a few of the toxic and hazardous-waste materials being blown up, burned and stored at the lab?s 7,000-acre bomb-testing range, and the lab has it in mind to increase the quantity of liquid hazardous waste stored at Site 300 from 3,300 gallons to 5,500 gallons.

The state Department of Toxic Substances Control has released a draft ?negative declaration? for the permit. The final permit will be issued unless we stand up against these environmentally damaging and dangerous facilities.

Please attend a public meeting at 6:30 p.m. July 17 at the Tracy Sports Complex, 955 Crossroads Drive, and let the state department know that the only waste in Tracy in need of open incineration is the permit-renewal process.

This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Back to TVC in the news...